The Carolands, also known as "The Chateau", was constructed around 1915 and was considered to be one of the finest examples of the French classical style of architecture in America. The home was built in Hillsborough by Harriet Pullman Caroland, the heiress to the Pullman railroad car fortune and her husband Francis J. Carolan. French architect Ernest Sanson was commissioned to design plans for the 100-room estate on the 554-acre site. A renowned local architect, Willis Polk, was hired to serve as the construction supervisor. French landscape architect Achelles Duchene designed the gardens, which originally included a tea house, a picnic ground, and a bandstand.
Over the years, the property was owned by several different people and much of the original property was subdivided. The house was allowed to deteriorate, but the historic glory of the magnificent structure remained.
Current owners have restored, with amazing dedication and attention to authentic historic detail, the mansion and its grounds to its original elegance as a private home. The Carolands is once again a beautiful historic landmark in Hillsborough.
To learn more about this architectural masterpiece, click on the photo.
The Town of Hillsborough1600 Floribunda Avenue, Hillsborough, CA 94010 (650) 375-7400