General Permit Information
Currently, the Town has made the following modifications to our permitting process:
- APPLICATION: All applications must be made electronically, via the Town’s Permit Portal: https://permits.hillsborough.net/
- PAYMENT: Permit payments may be paid via credit card, debit card or e-check via the Town's Permit Portal, or via check. Bond payments may only be made by check. For information on paying by check, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Building Division at (650) 375.7411.
- ISSUANCE: Permits will be issued electronically via the Town's Permit Portal, or in some instances via email or DropBox. Please contact your permit specialist with questions about your specific project.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A PERMIT?
Contractors and Homeowner/Builders will need to register with the Town in advance of being provided login credentials to the Town's Permit Portal. To obtain a username and password, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- SUBJECT: eTRAKiT Registration Request
- Company Name
- Contact Name
- Phone Number
WHAT PERMIT APPLICATIONS ARE YOU CURRENTLY ACCEPTING?
The Town is accepting the following building permit application types via the Town's Permit Portal:
- Combination (COM)
- Building (BLD)
- Plumbing (PLB)
- Mechanical (MEC)
- Electrical (ELC)
- Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing (M/E/P)
- Encroachment (ENC)
Please contact the Building Division at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (650) 375.7411.
Staff consists of a Building Official, a Senior Building Inspector / Plan Checker, a Field Building Inspector, and two Permit Technicians. The staff is responsible for plan checking, issuing both building and encroachment permits, and enforcing the building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and all other relevant codes adopted by the Town.
Inspections are required for all permitted work in the Town of Hillsborough. The purpose of inspections are to ensure that the work meets the construction and installation requirements of applicable codes. These inspections are required for all permitted work. Inspection requests should be made at least 48 hours in advance. Inspection requests can be made by calling (650) 375.7411.
Cancellation or Re-Inspection Fees
Cancellation and/or reinspection fees will be charged in the following circumstances:
- CANCELLATION FEE:
- Any inspection that is canceled on the day that it is scheduled, for any reason.
- If the inspector is not able to enter the site to conduct a scheduled inspection or view the approved stamped set of plans and permit card.
- REINSPECTION FEE:
- A re-inspection fee will be charged if the work requested to be inspected is not ready for inspection.
All subcontractors working on the job site must be listed on the Subcontractor Sheet (PDF) before calling for an inspection
Plans On Site
The stamped, approved plans must remain on the job site at all times. All documents attached to the plans must remain attached.
Construction signs are limited to 12 by 15 inches (maximum size) with black lettering on a white background.