- You Are Here:
- Building Division
- Building Permits
General Permit Information
A building permit provides legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. Building permits are beneficial to you and your community. As you work with Building Division staff, you will benefit from their knowledge of the building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, it will be safe and it will last. Safe construction practices help protect you, your family, your friends and your investment. Be sure to get your local code official involved with your project, because the Building Division is your partner.
When Are Permits Required
The best way to find out if you need a permit is to call the Building Division. The staff is there to provide information about safety and to help in the understanding of your local building codes. Be sure to discuss your plans with the code official before you begin construction to determine whether you need a permit. If a permit is not needed, the code official will answer your construction questions and provide valuable advice. Permits are required for the following:
- New buildings
- Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, etc.)
- Residential work: decks, garages, fences, gates, antennas, satellite dishes, fireplaces, pools, water heaters, landscaping, etc.
- Renovations of garages, basements, kitchens, bathrooms, storage, pool houses and re-roofing, etc.
- HVAC (heating, ventilating and air-conditioning) systems
- Plumbing systems including landscape watering and drainage systems
- Electrical systems and solar systems
- Tree removal
Let Us Help
Call the Building Division at 375-7411. Staff can usually advise you over the phone if the project you are considering does or does not require a permit. The best time to call the Building Division is in the afternoon, as staff is usually assisting permit applicants at the counter in the morning. If you do reach voicemail, please leave a detailed message, and staff will respond as quickly as possible.