November 3, 2020 General Municipal Election
A General Municipal Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, for the purpose of electing three members of the Town of Hillsborough's City Council.
List of Qualified Candidates:
|Sophie Cole||Candidate Statement|
|Christine Krolik||Candidate Statement|
|Alvin L. Royse||Candidate Statement|
|Aaron Zornes||Candidate Statement|
All registered voters will be automatically mailed a ballot to their residence beginning October 5th. You may cast your ballot during the 29-day period prior to Election Day and on Election Day via a ballot drop box or by mail, or vote in person. Here are some helpful tips to make sure your vote counts:
- Register to vote or update your registration information at www.registertovote.ca.gov
- Already registered? Check to make sure it is current at https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/
- Last day to register to vote is October 19th.
2 TRACK YOUR BALLOT:
- Ballots are mailed beginning October 5th.
- Sign up for ballot tracking at https://california.ballottrax.net/voter. This will let you know when your ballot is mailed, received by the County, and counted!
3 DROP OFF YOUR BALLOT:
- Drop off your ballot at any voting location and participating jurisdiction office before 8 pm on Election Day and it will be counted. For vote center locations: www.smcacre.org/vote-center-locations.
- Drop your ballot in any of the County Elections Office’s 24/7 outdoor ballot drop boxes. Locations include:
4 MAIL YOUR BALLOT:
- You do not need to place any stamps on the ballot return envelope. The postage has been paid by the County Elections Office.
- Ballots must be received by the County Elections Office by 8 pm on Election Day, or be postmarked on or before Election Day and received within 17 days after Election Day.
5 VOTE IN PERSON (Vote Early or on Election Day):
Vote in Person at Hillsborough Town Hall, 1600 Floribunda Avenue
Saturday, October 31 through Monday, November 2: 9 am – 5 pm
Election Day, Tuesday, November 3: 7 am – 8 pm
- For voting in person at other locations: https://www.smcacre.org/vote-centers-vote-person
- San Mateo County Elections Office at email@example.com or 650.312.5222
- City Clerk Miyuki Yokoyama at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650.375.7412
Notice of Election
Notice is hereby given that a General Municipal Election will be held in the Town of Hillsborough on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, for three Members of the City Council for the full term of four years. If no one or only one person is nominated for an elective office, appointment to the elective office may be made as prescribed by Section 10229 of the Elections Code of the State of California. The polls will be open between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on November 3, 2020.
General Municipal Election
A General Municipal Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, for the purpose of electing three members of the Town of Hillsborough’s City Council. The term of office will be for four years beginning in December 2020. A candidate must be a resident of the Town of Hillsborough and a registered voter of the Town at the time nomination papers are issued.
The nomination period for election to the office of City Councilmember will be from 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 13, 2020, to 12:30 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020. If a qualified incumbent does not file nomination papers by 12:30 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020, the nomination period will be extended for non-incumbents only until 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 12, 2020.
Nomination papers will be available after 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 13, 2020, from the Hillsborough City Clerk’s Office by appointment only. Please contact City Clerk Miyuki Yokoyama at 375-7412 or email@example.com for more information or to make an appointment to take out nomination papers.
City Council Election
The City Council consists of five members who are elected at-large on a non-partisan basis for a four-year term by the citizens of Hillsborough. Elections are held in November of even-numbered years.
Mayor & Vice-Mayor
The Mayor and Vice Mayor are elected by the City Council. On Monday, December 10, 2018, the City Council elected Shawn M. Christianson as Mayor and Alvin L. Royse as Vice Mayor. Both Mayor Christianson and Vice Mayor Royse will serve a maximum of two one-year terms. The City Council also consists of Councilmembers Jess E. (Jay) Benton, Marie Chuang and Laurence M. May.
General Election Information
- The Guidelines for Campaign Signs (PDF) covers the Town of Hillsborough’s mandatory requirements and voluntary guidelines for campaign signs.
- The San Mateo Elections and Registrar of Voters Office provides online information about voter registration, candidate information, election schedule, absentee voting, the California Elections Code, voter turnout, election results, election officer opportunities and political parties.
- For nonpartisan election information, visit SmartVoter, by the League of Women Voters.
- Sites that may be of interest are the California Secretary of State, the California Voter Foundation and the League of Women Voters of California.
Government Officials for the Town of Hillsborough
|San Mateo County Board of Supervisors, District 1||Supervisor Dave Pine||Hall of Justice|
400 County Center
Redwood City, CA 94063
|California State Assembly, 22nd District||Assemblymember Kevin Mullin||1528 S. El Camino Real|
San Mateo, CA 94402
|California State Senate, 13th District||Senator Jerry Hill||1528 S. El Camino Real|
San Mateo, CA 94402
|United States House of Representatives, 14th District||Congresswoman Jackie Speier||155 Bovet Road,|
San Mateo, CA 94402
|Ph: 650-342-0300||Website |