Hillsborough Landscape Requirements
The Planning Division has prepared a series of handouts with key Landscaping related information to assist in the understanding of the town's requirements and processes:
- Development Standards – The handbook for developing houses and additions to houses in Hillsborough. This contains information on setbacks, height limits, house sizes, parking requirements, etc. – The handbook for developing houses and additions to houses in Hillsborough. This contains information on setbacks, height limits, house sizes, parking requirements, etc.
- Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditors - The Irrigation Association provides an online tool for locating certified landscape irrigation auditors based on geographic areas. The town's Water Efficiency in Landscape Ordinance (WELO) requires all tier II landscape plans to be reviewed and certified by a certified landscape irrigation auditor. More information regarding the WELO requirements can be found online: TOH Water Efficiency in Landscape Requirements.
- Landscape Certification (PDF) – This is the form used to submit the certification by the project landscape architect that the project has been installed consistent with the approved plans.
- Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs (PDF) – This provides all the basic information for designing and placing these structures.
- Tree Removal Guidelines (PDF) - No trees or permanent structures shall be proposed or constructed within any Public Utilities Easement bordering the interior property lines or within the property itself. Provide all trees proposed within 2' of the PUE to have a root barrier.
- Water Efficiency in Landscaping (PDF) – This link provides information regarding the town's Water Efficiency in Landscaping Ordinance (PDF) and landscape design submittal requirements. Information includes an interactive water budget calculator (for use in calculating maximum applied water allowance and estimated total water use), WUCOLS Plant List, checklists and access to the full text of the Ordinance.
Applicable projects shall demonstrate compliance with the Ordinance during the Planning review process. The following documents have been created to guide you through the WELO requirements and will be required to be submitted to the Planning Department with your landscape plans.
- Water Efficiency in Landscaping Summary
- Tier 1 Landscape Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Tier 2 Landscape Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Water Efficiency in Landscape Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- Outdoor Water Use Efficiency Checklist (MS Excel) (PDF)
- Water Budget Calculation Worksheet (if applicable):
- Interactive Version (MS Excel) (PDF)
- Overhead Spray Water Budget Calculator (PDF)
- Drip System Water Budget Calculator (PDF)
- WUCOLS Plant List (PDF)
- Water Efficiency Landscape Ordinance (PDF)
Please call 650-375-7422 with any questions regarding the Water Efficiency Landscape Ordinance (PDF). Also, please check out these additional outdoor water conservation resources (PDF) which may be helpful on your project.