Vacation Home Check / Watch List Program
The Hillsborough Police Department provides a free residential security check of homes for residents upon their enrollment in the program.
During the course of their duty, Hillsborough Police Officers will come out to your residence and conduct a foot patrol around the home to make sure it is secured. They will check to make sure windows and doors are locked and undamaged. They will also check the door handles of vehicles left at the home to make sure they are secured as well. A detailed log is kept of what activity was conducted on your property while you were away. If, by chance, a burglary occurred at your residence while you were away, the individual that you specified as your emergency contact will be notified if you are unreachable.
This service helps in providing peace of mind for those that need to be away from their home for an extended period of time. Home checks may be conducted on homes that are occupied for any length of time during the homeowner's absence. If your home is occupied while you are away, please provide that information upon enrollment in the program.
Prior to enrolling in the Vacation Home Check Program, we ask that you have the following information available:
- When you are leaving (date and time)
- When you expect to return (date and time, if known)
- Your name, address, and phone number
- Whether there will be any vehicles outside your residence while you away (include make, model, license number)
- Person(s) with permission to enter the residence while you are gone (i.e., to feed pets, water plants, etc.)
- An emergency contact name and number
- Any other information you feel is important for us to know
If you are interested in having a vacation house check, please contact the Hillsborough Police Department at 650-375-7470