Home Watch List Program
The Hillsborough Police Department provides a free residential security check of homes for residents upon their consensual enrollment in the program.
Once enrolled in the program, Hillsborough Police Officers may respond to your residence to perform a foot patrol around the property to ensure the residence is secured. This will commonly include the checking of windows and doors to ensure they are locked and undamaged. Upon the completion of a watch list check, a detailed log is recorded of what activity was conducted on your property. If, by chance, a burglary occurred at your residence while you were away, the individual that you specified as your emergency contact will be notified if you are unreachable. It is important to note that shift staffing, volume of calls for service, and other unforeseen events may delay or prevent Hillsborough patrol officers from checking your home during their respective shift.
This service often provides peace of mind for those that need to be away from their home for an extended period of time. Watch list checks may be conducted on homes that are occupied for any length of time during the homeowner's absence. If your home is occupied while you are away, please provide that information upon enrollment in the program.
Prior to enrolling in the watch list program, we ask that you have the following information available:
- When you are leaving (date and time)
- When you expect to return (date and time, if known)
- Your name, address, and phone number
- Whether there will be any vehicles outside your residence while you away (include make, model, license number)
- Person(s) with permission to enter the residence while you are gone (i.e., to feed pets, water plants, etc.)
- An emergency contact name and number
- Any other information you feel is important for us to know
If you are interested in participating in the watch list program please contact the Hillsborough Police Department at 650-375-7470